Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest progressing fields of medicine. Never ever before have many scientific breakthroughs and new strategies emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, uses millions of people the chance to lower or remove their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the pain-free and quick method to fix vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Before you decide to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist ensure that you will be happy with your results?
The crucial to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a physician by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be fooled by expensive advertisements about a specific laser. Choose the physician, not the laser.
3. Pick a doctor who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a physician doesn't understand can injure you.
Ask for info on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. If your doctor will not tell you, discover another one.
Ask what procedures are taken to prevent infection. Insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected prior to your eye laser surgery to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Be careful of ads pushing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgical treatment is as excellent as a discount rate parachute. The prospective cost savings are not worth the threat of getting less than expert care!
7. Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, but don't anticipate to see completely. Each client gets a slightly various result. The finest surgeon in the world cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. Similar to any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as private as each client. Beware of any physician who assures 20/20 vision.
8. You probably are if you feel like you're getting a difficult sell. Go in other places. You're not buying a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably provide much better vision than LASIK. Ask check these guys out your physician about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, don't lose sight of the benefits: for the majority of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the vision of countless people all over the world.